Blogs > Out of Left Field

A sometimes-irreverent look at Detroit's Boys of Summer, the Tigers, as they try to return to the top of the American League Central.

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Torii Hunter hasn't been fined yet for Opening Day outburst, but expects one; 'It was worth it'



DETROIT — Torii Hunter hasn’t heard from the disciplinary arm of Major League Baseball yet for his vocal displeasure at Monday’s game-ending checked swing call against the Detroit Tigers, but he expects to.

“I haven’t heard anything. It doesn’t matter to me, though,” Hunter said Wednesday. “No, I haven’t. It wouldn’t matter though. I’m expecting it. I won’t be upset. It was worth it.”

There have been reports that MLB is considering fining Hunter for his comments to reporters after being rung up by home plate Joe West on a checked-swing call to end the season’s first game, saying “I think he had dinner reservations or a concert to play in.”

New MLB commissioner Rob Manfred said in a Fox Sports 1 interview on Tuesday, “As a general proposition, we don’t tolerate those kinds of remarks about our umpires.”

West took the comments in stride, when asked about the call by a pool reporter on Monday.

“I thought he swung, so I said he swung,” West said. “They’re all great players, and any time you get called out at the end of the game on something like that, they’re going to be upset, so I understand that.”


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home